- This event has passed.
Overture to 2023
January 15 @ 1:30 pm - 4:00 pmFree
The Overture Event will encourage community reflection on both Gloucester’s first 400+ years and the century ahead. It will be serious, stimulating, elevating and, at the same time, entertaining. Its carefully curated agenda will:
- Honor our foundations in patriotism and faith;
- Celebrate the talent of its musicians and writers;
- Showcase the promise of its young people;
- Advance consciousness of the importance of principles of diversity, equity, inclusion and access; and
- Highlight important initiatives to expand our maritime legacy into a future in bio-marine sciences.
David R. Walt, Ph.D. is Founder and Board Member of Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI), which was launched in 2013 in the belief that the ocean represents a new source of opportunity. He is a member of the faculty at Harvard Medical School in the Department of Pathology at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, is a Member of the Wyss Institute, and is a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Professor. Previously, he was University Professor at Tufts University.
Dr. Walt holds a B.S. in Chemistry from the University of Michigan and received his Ph.D. in Chemical Biology from SUNY at Stony Brook. He is a part-time resident of Rockport, committed to establishing a world-class marine research institute in the region to help realize the ocean’s benefits as that new source of opportunity.
While admission is reserved for registrants, there is no assigned seating.
Doors open at 1:30pm // Program begins at 2:00pm