As of 7/27/23
Thank you for your interest in our award-winning Stories Project!
We are still accepting stories until further notice for online publishing.
- Our stories are true stories about people or specific individuals with a connection to Gloucester. You may write about yourself, someone in your family, someone who inspires you in the community, someone from history, etc.
- Written stories may be up to 2500 words long which is about five pages of single-spaced writing, on 8.5 x 11 paper. We welcome shorter stories as well, some of our best stories are stories focusing on one impactful memory.
- We prefer original stories, stories that allow ALL people in our community (past and present) to be heard.
- You do not need to be a professional writer; we welcome first time writers and those learning to write English as a second language. We have writing coaches and workshop opportunities available at no cost to the writer.
- Keep your story focused. Tell the story of 1-2 people in one story and consider separate stories for other persons. Some people simply submit excerpts from longer stories.
- Most of our stories are personal in nature and require no footnoting. But, if your story required significant research, or is making historical claims, please footnote your story, noting all of your sources.
- You may submit up to ten photos with your story. We may not use all the photos, depending on photo quality and space constraints. Photos are optional but we strongly suggest you include ONE photo that is the primary photo for your story. It must be of a person.
- Once you have chosen your photos, submit a separate sheet with the captions for the photos. Captions should include
- A one sentence general description of the photo,
- year or approximate year the photo was taken,
- name the people from left to right if you can
- a photo credit if you know who took the photo,
- and if you don’t own the photo, tell us where you got it from
- Most people submit family-owned photos, but if you found photos on the internet, in books, magazines or newspapers, you must tell us what the source is, and you must obtain permission from the owner/original publisher before using the photo in a story. We cannot reprint photos with unknown origins and ownership.
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Submit the story here on our website or email to email@example.com. Please do not email your story to anyone else in the organization so we may keep track of our submissions.
- Submit your photos and captions sheet with the first draft of your story.
- Please follow us on Facebook for the latest stories, story events and other exciting news from the Gloucester400+ Stories Project!
Review the F.A.Qs below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.