The application and judging process for the commemorative medal competition consists of 2 phases:
In Phase I, artists must submit an original sketch of their design. All sketches should meet the following seven guidelines.
1. Designs must be drawn inside two circles between 6 and 8 inches in diameter. The obverse design should appear
on the left and the reverse design appear on the right.
2. A successful design will celebrate something related to the City of Gloucester and include these elements:
a. Design element(s) that are appropriate for high relief (not ultra-high relief)
b. The lettering “Gloucester,” “400.”
c. The dates: 1623 - 2023
4. All entries will include a short write-up explaining the meaning of the design.
5. Entries may ONLY be made electronically, via this website, as original artwork or in high res (300 dpi) .jpeg, .png
or .tiff format no larger than 5 MB. Non-digital, paper submissions will not be accepted.
6. Designers’ initials may not appear on the Phase I design or its explanation.
(These will be added after the winning design is selected in Phase II).
7. If two different designers submit identical or nearly-identical designs, the judging panel will select which design
will be entered into the competition.
The judging panel will select three (3) semi-finalists from the Phase 1 design entries.
Semi-finalists will be notified by October 1. 2019.
The three semi-finalist designs will advance to Phase 2 of the competition.